General Safeguarding and Welfare Requirement: Safety and suitability of premises, environment and equipment
8.3 Supervision of children on outings and visits
Children benefit from being taken out of the setting to go on visits or trips to local parks or other suitable venues for activities which enhance their learning experiences. Some settings do not have direct access to outdoor provision on their premises and will need to take children out daily. Staff in our setting ensures that there are procedures to keep children safe on outings; all staff and volunteers are aware of and follow the procedures below.
- Parents sign a general consent on registration for their children to be taken out as a part of the daily activities of the setting.
- This general consent details the venues used for daily activities.
- Hanney Pre-School has an annual summer outing where the parents are invited to attend. In this instance the children are the responsibility of their parents.
- A risk assessment for each venue is carried out, which is reviewed regularly.
- Parents are always asked to sign specific consent forms before major outings.
- A risk assessment is carried out before an outing takes place.
- All venue risk assessments are made available for parents to see.
- Our adult to child ratio is high.
- Named children are assigned to individual staff to ensure each child is individually supervised, to ensure no child goes astray, and that there is no unauthorised access to children.
- Information regarding the trip and those involved are taken with staff on the trip.
– The date and time of outing.
– List of children and contact numbers
– Names of staff assigned to named children.
– Time of return.
- Staff take a mobile phone on outings, and supplies of tissues, wipes, pants etc as well as a mini first aid pack. The amount of equipment will vary and be consistent with the venue and the number of children as well as how long they will be out for.
- Staff take a list of children with them with contact numbers of parents/carers.
- The number of staff on an outing depends on the number of children on the trip and will comply with the staff/children ratio.
This policy was adopted by Hanney Preschool committee on the 3rd Oct 2012 – Signed by Georgia Newman Co-Chair
(The original signed copy of all policies are held on site and can be viewed upon request)
Other useful Pre-school Learning Alliance publications
- Daily Register and Outings Record (2012)
- Managing Risk (2009)